Sunday, May 26, 2013

OKC's Paseo Arts Festival

 I spent a lovely afternoon in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma at the annual Paseo Arts Festival. The Paseo is the arts district of the area originally the home to hippies and bohemian counter culture, it evolved and evolved to the chic hot spot it is now. (if you stop down there for food I recommend the Picasso Cafe. The pizza was mediocre but their quinoa tacos and chili were amazing. Vegan friendly to boot.)
The festival brought artists from all over the United States not just Oklahoma. There were dozens of jewelry and pottery artisans. When browsing their wares it always amazes me to see how one medium can produce so much variety. It is the reason I love art so much. It is as individual as the artist.

I won't be critiquing the artists I mention here because I thought they were the best of the lot and I want you to enjoy them with out being encumbered by my opinions and viewpoints, lol.

So I don't repeat myself, PLEASE visit these artists websites they offer so much more than the one or two photos that I craptacularly took.(I did receive permission to photograph the work. I always ask and so should you. ALWAYS! It is only polite.) 

Like for instance, Daniela and Vladimir Ovtcharov. Their website is extensive with incredible work. So check out all the artists here! I couldn't photograph Daniela's work-her booth was too crowded-but was able to snap a few from Vladimir's (another reason to visit their site).
Vladimir Ovtcharov's The Sea Inside
Vladimir Ovtcharov
Vladimir Ovtcharov's Dandelion


Next I came across Chris White. Incredible encaustic works that are perfectly stressed. You can't really tell due to it being a photo but in person these pieces have a play of shine and matte, and according to Chris they feel wonderful to the touch. ( I didn't touch them with my grubby hands, I had just been eating cinnamon sugar pecans. What? Nuts are good for you.)
Chris White

Chris White's Spring Biscuit

Across from Chris was a collective gallery that held a lot of emerging artist work. Not all the artists were there but I did get to speak to Caleb Shelton, a photographer who uses a 360 panorama technique that he then puts together to create his “Little Planets” He doesn't have a website per say but he does have a tumblr, so go hook up with him there.
Little Planet by Caleb Shelton
Little Planet by Caleb Shelton
In the same gallery as Caleb was this piece by  called Catfish by Matthew Klapper. He wasn't there so I couldn't talk to him about his work or find a website for him but it's still a fantastic piece.


Catfish by Matthew Klapper
I came across Steve Nowatzki's etchings, they are truly fantastic. This was my favorite. But the glare on the glass (silly Oklahoma sunshine) is kind of distracting so visit his website, which he says is still under construction but has a test gallery up so you can see it. His “neglected” gallery, as he called it, is here.
Steve Nowatzki's The 11th Hour. 

I came across Sean Corner's booth, he was diligently working away. He said he doesn't have a website, sadly but this is a taste of his work here. He seems to be very active on the arts festival circuit so keep an eye out for him!
Sean Corner
Sean Corner


Then I came to an Oklahoma artist Jan Brieschke. She has had a nice long career as an artist and teacher. She developed a really cool style she calls fractured light and these amazing reverse glass paintings (which isn't really done anymore so it's wonderful to see it revived)
Jan Brieschke. This is the"fractured light" technique she  created.

Jan Brieschke. Reversed glass painting. I am SO sorry about the glare. It's such a beautiful piece.





No comments:

Post a Comment